Friday, December 29, 2017

Damn Good Taco's in Fort Worth Texas! Torchy's Taco's Will Make You Happy...




I traveled to Fort Worth, Texas in October '17 in order to present a class on medical helicopter crashes at the Air Medical Transport Conference. The conference was a three-day affair and after the first night of partying with the crowds; on the second night, I was ready for a break and a breather. As it turned out, my hotel, the Hilton-Garden Inn Fort Worth Medical Center is situated a scant-few steps from a hip-looking taco-joint. Torchy's Tacos. Cold beers and no car required! I bellied up to the bar and took the pulse of the place.

The young quick-moving bartender smiled and asked me what I was drinking. I ordered a beer and a menu and looked at what my neighbors were having.

It all looked good. And large. People were tucking-into food-truck fare as if the light were about to turn green and we were all going to have to move along. Everyone was happy.

I ordered a burrito (giant and delicious) and a specialty-taco, rice and beans, and subjected my internals to a pleasant experience. One can quickly see why Torchy's is popular, and I wish owner Mike Rypka would come visit Savannah, Georgia and put a store here. The place is cool. Hip. A hangout for college-age kids, but friendly to solo old dudes too. (Case in point writing this post). SCAD students would devour Torchy's Tacos!

So that was my first visit. Upon completion of the conference the next day, and after helping my friends pack up the exhibit booth for the National EMS Pilots Association, I had an evening to kill before an early plane the next morning. I considered venturing out, but really - if I can walk from room to fun and good food why order an Uber? On my second visit, I was no longer a stranger and I was greeted in a friendly fashion by the same bartender. More beers, some Tito's, and more great food. If I lived in Fort Worth I would be a Torchy's regular.

Then the magic that often happens in a friendly little drinking and eating establishment happened. It's why I go to the places I go - to meet neat friends. A pair of ladies sat down next to me on my left, one younger, one older. We began an easy friendly conversation, and I started having a really good time chatting with this young woman who was a regular, friends with the bartender, and herself in food and beverage. We talked about all kinds of things, and I found her perspective on topics fascinating. It was a real pleasure meeting Maggie Warren and her mom. I knew in an instant that she would be one of my daughter Ashley's best friends in short order if they ever met. As happens today, we became fb friends, and now I can keep up with Maggie in Fort Worth. When next I road-trip through Texas, I am going to warm a seat and kill a beer at this great store.

Thanks, Torchy's for a great time in Texas!

You can learn more about Torchy's Tacos here...

No comments:

Post a Comment